More boring legal stuff here, but we’ve got to have it. This page is all about what personal information we collect and how we may use it. We’re not going to steal your identity, but there are things you need to be aware of.
1. About Us
This website (shop.beano.com) is owned and operated by Beano Studios Ltd (a limited company registered in England with company number 10054526 with its registered office at 185 Fleet Street, London, EC4A 2HS).
Beano Studios is committed to protecting your privacy and maintaining the security of any personal information received from you. We strictly adhere to the requirements of the data protection legislation in the UK, including the General Data Protection Regulation 2016 and the Data Protection Act 2018 and we are registered on the Data Protection Public Register number ZA206818.
2. The Data Protection Officer (DPO)
Due to the type of data we collect and the nature of our business we currently have no legal requirement to have a DPO at Beano Studios. However, our Head of Data will be happy to deal with any queries or requests regarding the data we hold about you. They can be contacted via email at email@example.com or by post to Head of Data, Beano Studios Limited, 185 Fleet Street, London, EC4A 2HS.
3. Information we collect about You
When you register on our website or place an order, we may collect your name, telephone number, address, delivery address (if different) and email address. This allows us to process and manage your registration as well as process your order and provide you with the goods or service chosen.
We do not collect sensitive information (also known as special categories of information) about anyone using the site except when you specifically knowingly provide it and have consented to this.
We will also collect any personal information volunteered to us when we are contacted via the firstname.lastname@example.org email address.
We do collect some information from cookies and similar software which allows us to understand how you arrive on our websites, and use and navigate round it. This information is used to help us improve the site. We obtain some information from Google Analytics and Facebook. The Facebook information provided is limited and only that which you have previously agreed with Facebook that they can share.
4. What we do with your Information
We will use your personal information for several purposes including;
• To process your orders and provide our services, goods or online content, to provide you with information about them and to deal with your requests and queries.
• For administration purposes which means we may contact you for reason related to goods or services ordered or online content you have signed up for, to let you know that a service or online site has been suspended for maintenance, if your subscription is about to expire to ask if you wish to renew it or if an online account has become dormant to ask if you wish to retain the account before we close it.
• To provide marketing emails/newsletters where you have given us consent to send them
• We may use your personal information to respond to a query or report by email
• We will retain an adult’s personal data for the purposes that personal information was provided to us and delete those records once the purpose is achieved. For example, if a query is submitted to us via email@example.com email address, we will retain the name and email address of the submitter whilst we respond to that query.
• IP addresses and device identifiers are processed by Google Analytics to enable us to anonymously identify the location of Users & establish the number of visits from different countries. More information about the process can be found here. Beano Studios does not view or store IP addresses and this information is not used for the purposes of identifying individuals
• For analysis and research to improve our services
• We may use, share and disclose information in aggregate (so no individuals are identified) for marketing and strategic development purposes
5. What if I don't provide some or all of the information requested?
The impact of this will depend on what information you withhold but the main impacts may be:
• We may not be able to process or fully process your order
• We may not be able to respond fully to requests and queries you may have
• We cannot personalise the service you receive
Withholding marketing consent. You are free to do this at any time. It will only stop you receiving marketing. It will not impact any other service/goods we provide you with.
6. Will you be contacted for Marketing Purposes?
We use your personal information to update you about new products/services by email. We will only contact you with your consent. You will provide this either when you fill in a form to provide your data, by signing up for a newsletter, selecting your preferences in your online account or when you call us.
We may personalise the message content based on information you provide us with and purchases you make.
You are entitled to withhold this consent and opt out from receiving such communications at any time by not giving your consent on the form that collects your details. You can also update these options by logging into your account and adjusting your preferences, contacting us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Head of Data, Beano Studios Limited, 185 Fleet Street, London, EC4A 2HS. We will always provide you with a way of opting out of receiving future marketing messages from us, each time we send them to you.
7. What grounds (legal basis) are we processing the data under?
There are a number of grounds we process your data under. These are;
• Contractual – we need the information to perform the contract for goods or services you have requested/ordered including payment, delivert etc.
• Legal – should we be legally required to contact you concerning a product e.g. a product recall
• Legitimate interest – this means the processing is in Beano Studios’ interest. It allows us to manage the customer relationship effectively & efficiently as well as improve the goods and/or services we provide by better understanding how our online provisions are used and which goods are popular with which groups of individuals.
• Consent – where you have given us consent to process your data
8. Internal Sharing
As a Beano enthusiast you may have signed up for a Beano comic subscription or to the Beano website or both. The comic is produced by DC Thomson media (our publishing arm) and the website along with other online and offline activities are run by the DC Thomson company known as Beano Studios Ltd. To provide you with a seamless experience it may be necessary to share your personal information between these two organisations. We will only share the information needed to provide you with the services you are using and will not routinely share data we hold about you.
9. Sharing your Information with Third Parties
We may from time to time provide your or your child’s personal information to third parties for the purposes of moderating anything submitted to us via the Site or providing our services. The third party providers who help us provide our services include service providers who assist us with hosting the Site or our marketing campaigns. They do not decide what is done with your data and only process it on our behalf. These third parties may be located outside the European Economic Area (EEA); however, we only use providers that provide adequate protection for your information.
When transferring any personal information outside of the EEA we only do so under one of the legally recognised transfer mechanisms for ensuring the data is safeguarded. These are:
• The country in question has been deemed safe for data transfer by the European Commission. Also known as an adequacy finding
• The contract for data processing contains the standard contractual clauses laid down by the European Commission to safeguard the transfer of personal data
• Binding corporate rules – this is where a large company’s own internal processes for international data transfer have been signed-off and agreed by the European Commission as safeguarding the data
• If the data is going to the USA it can be safely transferred to a company that is certified under the EU-US Privacy Shield
• Appropriate certification schemes.
We work with the following third party providers to support the operation of the Site and provide a better experience:
Google Doubleclick – for more information please see their privacy & terms policy
Yieldify – for more information please see their platform policy
Facebook Custom Audience – for more information please see their terms of service
We will not provide your data to other third parties for marketing purposes unless you have specifically consented to this when you first provided your data to us. You are entitled to withhold this consent and opt out from receiving such third party communications at any time by not giving your consent on the form (paper or web) that collects your details. You can also update these options by contacting us via email at email@example.com or by post to Head of Data, Beano Studios Limited, 185 Fleet Street, London, EC4A 2HS.
10. Cookies [and web browser information]
Currently we do not have the ability to react to do not track being set in the browser.
11. How we Protect your Information
We follow strict security procedures in the storage, use and disclosure of information which you or your child have given us, to prevent unauthorised access to, and loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information in accordance with the UK data protection legislation. These include access control, firewalls and virus checking procedures.
You are responsible for keeping any confidential passwords or other login or access details which you select or which we allocate to you secret. Whilst we take steps to ensure the security of your information, there is a risk that any information transmitted over the Internet and stored on a computer may be intercepted or accessed by an unauthorised party. If you think that someone has accessed your information held by us without your permission or gained unauthorised access to your login details, you must notify us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We also recommend that if you use a shared computer or a computer in a public place such as a library that you close your browser when you have finished your session
12. How long we hold your Data for
Some of the information you provide to us is necessary to carry out repeated tasks, such as verifying your identity when signing in to use an account or providing our goods and services to you or you using an online checkout. We will keep this information for as long as you remain a registered user of any of our sites or an active customer plus a reasonable time (approximately 24 months) beyond this to deal with queries or issues.
Some information may be required for longer periods such as financial information for HMRC purposes, usually a maximum of 7 years.
We retain anonymised information, gathered for analytical purposes, indefinitely.
13. Your rights regarding your Personal Information
Under the Data Protection law you have a number of rights with respect to your personal information which are:
Correcting your Information
- You are entitled to have your personal information updated to ensure it is up-to-date and accurate.
- You have the right to withdraw your consent to any processing that is currently being done under your consent e.g. marketing.
Obtaining a copy of your Information
- You are entitled to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you.
Deleting your information
- You can request that we delete personal information in certain circumstances. These will be specific to each case.
- You are entitled to have us transfer to another controller the personal information that you have provided us with.
- You can request a restriction on the processing of your data in some limited circumstances. Examples are concerns over data accuracy or we are no longer required to hold your data but you have requested its retention by us to aid you in a legal matter.
Right to object to processing
- You are entitled to request that we stop processing your data for marketing purposes and in other limited circumstances such as asking us not to process your data by wholly automated means or not to analyse your information for targeted content etc. (also known as profiling).
You can action any of these rights by contacting your normal customer service department or by contacting us via email at email@example.com or by post to Head of Data, Beano Studios Limited, 185 Fleet Street, London, EC4A 2HS.
14. Sale of the Business
15. Right of complaint to the Regulator for Data Protection
The data protection laws in the UK are regulated and enforced by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). Each individual has the right to raise a concern/complaint to the ICO if they have any concerns about how their personal information and/or privacy is treated. You can do this via
- The ICO’s website (https://ico.org.uk/concerns ) - follow the links or have an online “live chat”
- Call the ICO helpline on 0303 123 1113
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Postal address: Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
16. Links to Third Party Websites
17. Updates to this Policy
We may update this Policy at any time without notice. We will tell you that we have updated the policy by posting an announcement on the website. By continuing to use the website after we have posted a notice informing you of an update, you accept the changes to this Policy.
18. Contacting Us
If you have any questions about privacy, or wish to update your details or action any of your other data rights at any time, please contact us via email at email@example.com or by post to Head of Data, Beano Studios Limited, 185 Fleet Street, London, EC4A 2HS.
Privacy statement updated May 2018.